My mum makes awesome sweet and sour pork, or what we commonly call 咕噜肉 or “gu lou yok” in Cantonese. I posted this picture on Facebook and quite a few friends asked for the recipe so I thought that I’d detail it down on this blog so that it will be easy reference! Importantly, this is the packet sauce that she uses but what mum does is to add additional sauces into it to make it even more awesome.
- Pork (specially for sweet & sour pork, can get from supermarket)
- Sliced capsicums – red, yellow& green x 1 each
- Big onion (sliced) x 1
- Canned pineapple
Preparing the meat
- Cut pork into bite size pieces.
- Marinate with oyster sauce x 1 tablespoon, light sauce x ½ tablespoon, dash of pepper & cornstarch x 1 teaspoon.
- Leave aside for half hour.
Preparing the sauce
- Pour packet sauce into bowl.
- Add tomato sauce x 2 tablespoon, black vinegar x 1 teaspoon and sugar x 1 teaspoon (can add more/less sugar depending on your personal preference)
- Mix well.
- Add enough oil to pan/wok.
- Coat marinated meat lightly with cornstarch and deep fry with until golden brown.
- Put aside.
- Stir fry capsicums, onions, pineapples until fragrant.
- Add pork back into the pan/wok.
- Add sauce and stir-fry quickly before serving with steamed rice.
I can eat this everyday and not get sick because it’s so darn yummy!!